Download This Complete Project Topic and Material (Chapter 1-5 With References and Questionnaire) Titled A Study of Problems Associated With the Extended Family System in Nigeria. Here on Projectgate. See Below for the Abstract, Table of Contents, List of Figures, List of Tables, List of Appendices, List of Abbreviations, and Chapter One. Click the Download Now Button Below to Get the Complete Project Work Instantly.
Project Topic and Material on A Study of Problems Associated With the Extended Family System in Nigeria
The Project File Details
- Name: A Study of Problems Associated With the Extended Family System in Nigeria
- Type: PDF and Ms Word (Doc)
- Size: [72Kb]
- Length:  Pages
The purpose of this study is to find out the study of problems associated with the extended family system in Nigeria. Inc carrying out the study questionnaires was designed and administered to both the students and staff (academic and non-academic) in College of Education Ekiadolor-Benin. The data collected were analyzed and interpreted; it was observed that adoption, inability to meet family demands, unfaithfulness on the apart of the partners and amongst others is the major problems associated with the extended family system in Nigeria. In the light of the findings, recommendations were proffered in the hope that if carefully considered and implemented by concerned individuals and government orientation and programmes they would help in reducing the problems associated with the extended family system in Nigeria.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Background of the study
Statement of the problem
Purpose of study
Significance of the study
Scope and delimitation of study
Definition of terms
Analysis and interpretation of data
Discussion of finding
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Marriage is an institution established by God in the beginning of the world (Gen. 1 vs 27) marriage is an agreement between two people normally of opposite sex to live, work, bear, and bring up children together throughout their life time. (Gen 2 vs 24) marriage demands maturity so that partners can best develop their full sense of togetherness, belonging, responsibility and interdependence. (Matt. 19 vs 5-6, Matt 10 vs 7-9).
The extended family household as a cultural idea has been distinguished in the majority of documented human history in order words the extended family is also known as consequent family (polygamous family). This means whereby one man can marry as many wives as he can cater for e.g. Muslim religion. The problem of extended family ties spread both risks and benefits. Extended family groups often form corporations of individuals who function in concert as a single social and economic unit.
This study is therefore designed to examine people’s attitudes towards the problems of the extended family in Nigeria.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
– The inability to meet family demands.
– Deviant behavioural traits in children
– Unfaithfulness on the part of the partners (man or wife)
– Religious fanaticism (violence, unreasoning enthusiasm).
– There will be supportive individuals in your family might not understand why you were choosing to bring someone else child into your home.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
– Identify the problem of extended family
– Identify the effects of problems of the extended family
– Identify the various reasons that leads to the problem of the extended family
– Identify the possible solutions to the problems of the extended family.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The reasons of the problem associated with the extended family are:
– If someone in your extended family chooses not to accept that child, you have the freedom to separate yourself from that person it actually becomes your responsibility to do so if being around that person will not put your children in emotional danger.
– If you allow other opinion to influence your decision you may make a mistake in not following through with the adoption process.
– Adoption is a very loving sacrifice.
– Defined extended family
– What are their type of docents
– What are the problems associated with the extended family system
– What are the limitations and delimitations of extended family system?
– What are the risks and benefits of the extended family?
SCOPE AND DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
– Adoption is a very loving sacrifice; it shows that family does not have to be biological to benefit from love for one another.
– Things can change overtime and often once the extended family member understands that you can provide a good home for the child they may change their mind.
– The final decision on any adoption should not be left up to anyone outside your home. If you allow other opinions to influence your decisions you may make a mistake in not following through with the adoption process.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Extended Family: This comprises members of the nuclear family and the relatives of wives or wife and husband, which include uncles, nephews, nieces, cousins, grandparents etc.
Descent systems: Extended family ties that reach across households provide important social and economic advantages in terms of shared labour, socialization of children, and support for the elderly.
Extended family groups: This often form corporations of individuals who function in concert as a single social and economic unit.
Problems of extended family: namely Extended family ties spread both risks and benefits. Importance especially in setting with scarce resources. The problems of extended family system are:
– Inability to meet family demands
– Unfaithfulness on the part of the partners
– Deviant behavioural traits in children
– Religious fanaticism (unreasoning enthusiasm between the partners).
– One traditional example is in contemporary hunter-gather societies, where resources are often uncertain, and individuals have minimal success in obtaining these resources. In these settings, highly elaborate rules, based on concepts of extended family, often govern the distribution of food and other resources. In this way, the success of an individual benefits the group.